Food Safety Supervisors (FSS) are appointed by the Food Business Operator and holds a valid FoSTaC certificate issued by the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India. Food Safety Supervisors are trained in good hygienic and sanitary practices to be followed by all food business operators as per requirements in Schedule 4 of Food Safety and Standards (Licensing and Registration of Food Businesses) Regulations, 2011.
"Food Safety Supervisor" means a person appointed by the Food Business Operator and holds a valid food safety certificate of training approved by the Food Authority.
"Food Handler" means a person who directly handles packaged or unpackaged food, food preparation equipment and utensils or food contact surfaces.
Role of Food Safety Supervisor
- To recognise and prevent risks associated with food handling in food business
- To train and supervise the other food handlers in the food business premises
- Implement the Schedule-4 requirements in the food business
- Ensure the compliance of food business with all the FSSAI’s requirements
- Should carry out periodic onsite training of all food handlers, at least on a quarterly basis and maintain record thereof
- Create a behavioural change in other food handlers regarding personal hygiene, good hygienic/manufacturing practices, safe handling of foods
- Responsible for incorporating the culture of food safety in the food business premises
Advantages of undergoing FoSTaC Training:
- Enhance the availability of skilled manpower in the field of food safety
- Food Safety Supervisors ensures better implementation of Schedule 4 requirements of the FSS Regulations in food businesses which in turn reduces the non-compliance for FBOs during the regulatory inspection and smoothens the operations during pre- audit and audits.
- Having a food safety supervisor will lead to self-compliance of FSSAI’s schedule 4 requirements and further it reduces the burden of the legal action/ grievances/ complains raised by the consumers, regulatory officials and Food Authority.
- Build a confidence among the consumers for food safety and maintaining hygiene in their food business premises which reflects on the profit of the food business
For Food Handlers in food business
- Improve their performance and value in the food businesses
- Enhance the knowledge and in the field of food safety
- Considered as a skill development in food safety and quality assurance
- Opportunity to exhibit your leadership quality among the other food handlers
For Students and others intending to enter in food business:
- Value addition to the individual’s resume and improves their employability in the food sector throughout the country
- Enhance their knowledge in the field of food safety
- Able to fulfil the demand for skilled food handlers in the food businesses as Food Safety Supervisors.